Monday, February 22, 2010

Drowning

I have been thinking about all the things I should, and need to do as a good member of the church, and among the many, many things I am not doing is keeping a journal. And as I was thinking about how daunting this task seemed, I then though "well doesn't my blog count? And it even has pictures with it. My blog is way better than any journal I could ever have. Mostly because I actually post picture and write things."


The moral of this post is to tell you my blog will be more personal, heck its my family, my blog and my journal. Its not a brag fest or a way to show off my ever-so-cute kids...In fact it may end up being quite the opposite. I may incriminate myself on several different subjects!

I'm the gospel doctrine teacher in our ward and it has been a wonderful calling. I have found myself really studying topics in the scriptures that I would have never studied without this calling. But, we are now studying the old testament, and I feel like I am drowning! The amount of information I have to study, just to be able to speak somewhat intelligently, is totally overwhelming. Chapters of reading and then trying to make since of it all, then presenting it to a class that knows more than I do on the subject makes me feel like I am drowning in the flood with all of Noah's heathen friends. I sort of want to be like "Lot's wife" and "turn back" to my old days and ways of lazy scripture study!!!
Last weeks lesson was on the Abrahamic Covenant, I had to make it into a game of Jeopardy so I wouldn't look so dumb (I had all the answers on a card!)
However this calling is building me, It has to be...... RIGHT?

During the passing of the sacrament I was enjoying the silence, when I heard Claire say loudly, Looking at Brady, "I'm going to Kill You!" aghh... Upon telling Ben that she had turned a few heads in disbelief of what they had heard, he said "It sounds like she is just repeating you!!!"
I then told him I was going to Kill Him!!

To much to do, no time to do it, and kids saying too much = drowning !

5 comments:

Jeremy Saunders said...

i am pretty sure you are doing an excellent job of teaching gospel doctrine! YOu have always been a great teacher, I misss your lessons. Keep up the good work. What a great calling--one that makes you study!

as for ben's remark, claire may be repeating you, but perhaps brady was repeating ben by egging claire on....sound familiar?
mimi
ps i agree, i love having the blog to journal and include pics. i hope my blog doesn't sound like a bragfest either.

Crazy Black family said...

I bet you're doing great teaching... wish we could see it! And remember, it's all about leading a discussion. Just get everyone else to teach the lesson for ya! ha ha. Good luck. And I count blogging as my journal for the kids. :D

Michelle Hayes said...

I liked my lesson on Noah and the Ark because some girl raised her hand and said
"I know that trials are good for us. I relate trials to the rain and floods. Without the trials, or the "rains", We would always be grounded and never learn or grow." She then said "instead, we all have boats and our trials are carrying us..and one day we will land on the top of a mountain and be as close as we can to the Lord." Anyway, it was a good visual. I really liked it.
I like you too

mlg said...

I don't know how you do it but I can barely find the time to sound intelligent to my 6 year old's in primary. I had my blog made into a book and it is now a bound journal! Pretty cool!

mdfergi said...

The blog is TOTALLY a journal. We put some long hours into it. And pictures to go along with it, is awesome (just like you said). So good for you for really dedicating yourself to it. I used to be so good at keeping our blog up and running but, lately it's been a little harder because of our little Benny...haha Crazy kids!

And about you teaching, you really are so great at this calling. I love being in your class. You basically are directing a conversation and you do a great job at that. I learned (from being a convert) that whenever I had any questions (especially before teaching or giving a talk) i went back to the basics - "Gospel Principles". It seemed like that book did a really good job of breaking things down for me. Keep up the good work Jennifer because I'm telling ya you're doing great. And I honestly know how you feel because there is a lot to do but, as long as we're being diligent I think we'll be rewarded in the end! Lots of love to you, Patty