Thursday, April 24, 2014

A pretty cool kid

To make my story short, Brady love legos and hates school.
In an effort to get something we both wanted, good grades and a new totally awesome ninja treehouse lego set, Brady made us a deal.  He would do a bunch of chores including: Practicing the piano, Babysit weekly, always have a clean room, get better grades on his tests, read for 30 minutes nightly, work on faith in God and Scouts, and Be kind to his siblings for 4 months.  
What parent wouldn't jump on this opportunity?  However after seeing the price of the Lego set I hesitated ($250) but in my crazy pregnant condition, half listening to his offer and desperately seeking ways to get him to like school work, I agreed.
Well, the day of reckoning came.   All of the sudden I realized I had made a mistake accepting his offer,  $250.00 Is a lot of money!  I don't have that, and how is it fair to the other kids who do their homework, and all their jobs for FREE?
I Broke the news to Brady that I was not going to buy the set.   Tears of furry and rage shocked me that he was so disappointed in  not getting this set.  I tried offering him other, cheeper, solutions but, he would not have it.  After an hour of crying in his room and and my guilt growing.  I prayed... I approached him as I would an equal adult.  I explained to him that $250 was a lot of money, and that money would be coming out of our families food budget.   I told him that it would be completely irresponsible of me to spend OUR Families money on such an extravagant item for one person.  I told him how much food the money could buy, I even told him how many tickets to Disneyland it would purchase.  
After my talk he wiped the tears from his eyes and he said "Okay Mom, I guess I don't need the lego set."  
My heart was relieved and grateful that the Lord helped Brady understand and sacrifice his lego set for the rest of the family. not to mention forgive me for making the deal with him and then breaking it.
I'm not an all bad parent,  We did strike a deal for all his hard work. He is now the new owner of Super Mario Smash Bro. ($30)

4 comments:

sarahandmatt said...

I love it. I have a kid just like that !

Unknown said...

Oh man! You put yourself in a tough situation! I'm glad you didn't cave...for $250 you could buy a whole new wardrobe! There's no way I'd be spending that on Legos. I'm happy he found a much cheaper set. Isn't it crazy how much those stupid things cost. I have some Lego obsessed boys but we've never spent more than $30 ourselves.

Stefani said...

It's nice when they are reasonable and end up forgiving you in the long run. Although for all that he was doing (and maybe wasn't before) It might be worth it to go hungry for a week. Lol. Luckily my kids haven't been into legos. BTW your brady is almost as cute as mine ;)

Michelle Hayes said...

Dang, that boy is forgiving. Youve got a good one.