Thursday, January 5, 2012

True Grit

"I came to you for help because everyone told me you had True Grit." I didn't like this movie much, but this sentence did resonate with me.  This line has stuck with me for days, I think it's because if I could have a trait in life I think I would choose grit.  Firmness in Character.
Can you imagine the things you could accomplish by having this quality?  Firmness in the gospel, Confidence in yourself and the Lord,  Knowing who you are and your purpose in life.  Never wavering. and the ability to accomplish and accept the hard stuff in life.
Every new year I love to make goals, most of them fitness, then a few others sneak in.  This year I have felt really lazy in my goal making.  After all, why make a goal when I feel like I'm drowning in the goals I can't reach. (many of them include, finding time to read scriptures, homework with kids, call a friend, organize meetings, make sure sisters in the ward are cared about, keeping the house clean, feeling good, not letting negative emotions into my day, and a whole list of thing I feel like running away from!)
Then I read a quote in the ensign that says.  Keep doing good things. Keep obeying the commandments. Keep praying and studying and doing your best until you receive additional direction. Don’t abandon your post. 
I found a lot of inspiration in this, just keep going.   Part of true grit is to know yourself, know your strengths and play on them, realizes your weaknesses and make them better. We build our strength of character by stretching ourselves and realizing the Lord is working with us, to build us.  Wouldn't it be neat if we heard this sentence from the Lord "I came to you for help because I know you have True Grit." I would love to be that person!

5 comments:

Stefani said...

Thank Jennifer. You're very inspiring!

April said...

Well Jennifer, I don't think you need to worry at all about having true grit because YOU do.
I think that is the one thing I like most about you. You are firm and steadfast in every aspect of your life...the gospel, raising your family, your calling. EVERYTHING. I like the part of the quote where it says, "don't abandon your post." I LOVE that. I feel like I am always remaking the same goals like reading scriptures and praying more. I want to be the person that just does it every single day!
Thank you for sharing this it has given me something to think about!
A

Marissa said...

That is amazing Jennifer! You said much of what I'm thinking, and gave me some great advice and food for thought.

christensen mission adventures said...

Jennifer you are really good at blogging. I love to see my grandchildren and your comments. I really love to see you and Ben Hugging, it makes me feel good, you are the best.

Grandma said...

I agree with April, I think this is one of your strengths, I love that line in the show as well. And I especially loved the advise in the Ensign about not abandoning our post. That was inspirational for me, thanks for all you do.